ONLINE PRIVATE LESSONS
Private music lessons in piano, organ and harpsichord are provided via SKYPE or FACETIME internet connections. If you are hesitant about how well online private lessons might work for you, please visit the reviews tab of this website and read about the success other students have had with their online private lessons. If you are considering taking music lessons online, please bear in mind the following important considerations and requirements:
- You will need a reliable high-speed internet connection
- You will need the FaceTime, Skype or WhatsApp applications installed on your laptop, tablet or mobile phone.
- You will need an up-to-date computer, iPad or tablet or desktop computer with a camera.
- The camera will need to be placed in such a way that the teacher can clearly see your hands, torso and body position as they relate to the keyboard. Adequate lighting is very important. An external microphone will provide a much more satisfying teaching interface than the microphone built into your laptop computer or cell-phone.
- All "background activities" (automatic updates, feeds, weather updates, messaging services, apps, etc.) on your computer, laptop, notebook, ipad or tablet, or cell-phone should be turned off to increase the bandwidth necessary for Skype and FaceTime to operate quickly, reliably and efficiently and to avoid interruptions in your lesson time.
- Payment verified through PayPal is required at the beginning of each lesson and before the lesson can begin if you are not already a regularly scheduled student.
- A deposit equal to the fee for one online lesson is required to reserve your space for online lessons.
- Lessons may be cancelled with 24-hours notice. If less than 24 hourse notice is given, the student will forfeit his or her deposit amount. Lessons cannot resume until your deposit balance is restored in the teacher's PayPal account.
- Be prepared for your lesson. The Teacher will call you at the time of your pre-arranged lesson appointment.
PRIVATE LESSONS IN STUDIO
Steve welcomes to his music studio students with skills ranging from the beginner to the advanced. He gives private lessons for piano, classical organ and harpsichord. A free initial evaluation is provided by appointment. Lessons follow an organized approach that utilizes the student's accomplishments to steadily build skills and confidence in the areas of music theory, technique, ear training, sight reading and performance. Every lesson conducted at the studio is notated for practice sessions and future reference. Students are taught to not only to play or sing, but to read and thoroughly interpret the written score. Those interested in performing are encouraged to prepare pieces of recital caliber.
An experienced recital artist, Steve Benson provides performance coaching for both vocalists and instrumentalists. His in-house recording studio located in Northern Virginia may be utilized to produce reference recordings for the purpose of self-evaluation, audition, permanent record or publication. His experience as a recording engineer and choral conductor provides a trained ear that helps to achieve a higher level of performance preparation for each situation.
Please use the contact form to inquire about private lessons.